First United Methodist Church
Location: Glen Ellyn, Illinois
Pastor: Rev. Dr. Tom Potenza
The First United Methodist Church of Glen Ellyn, Illinois is a downtown church located in the western suburbs of Chicago. In 2005 the congregation decided to plan for an upgrade and renovation of its church building. The original parts of the structure were built in 1928 with a sanctuary added in 1957. Since then no major work had been done to the structure.
The $2.3 million project includes a completely remodeled sanctuary with up-to-date audio and video support. a new entrance with an expanded narthex, an elevator allowing access to the basement and the three upper stories, remodeled offices, a library, a nursery near the front entrance and modern restrooms on every floor.
"The James Company was instrumental in facilitating and supporting our congregation as we developed a comprehensive plan to fund the most extensive building renovation the church has undertaken in fifty years. Don Schultz led us through a series of well-constructed processes that first sought to understand the congregation itself, and then clearly communicated the subsequent building fund appeal details. Execution of all the details that make a fund appeal like this successful was made easy due to the ongoing assistance of Denise Peters.
The James Company successfully combines a Biblical foundation for fundraising with a strategic approach for execution. Our partnership with Don and Denise was both fruitful and enjoyable, and provided a great start to one of the biggest projects in our congregationís history."
Maria T. Metz, Co-Chair
Building Fund Appeal Leadership Team
First United Methodist Church of Glen Ellyn